Per Nick's fine invitation, see:

http://battellemedia.com/archives/2013/01/facebook-is-no-longer-flat.php

-tom johnson

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Nicholas Thompson <
nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dear all, ****
>
> ** **
>
> We had a discussion last Friday at Friam that I would like to see
> continued here. Many of us  had seen a recent talk in which somebody was
> using satellite imagery to track an individual through his day.   The
> resolution of such imagery is now down to 20 cm, and that is before
> processing.   We stipulated (not sure it's true in NM) that if I were to
> follow one of you around for week, never intruding into your private space,
> but tagging along after you everywhere you went and patiently recording
> your every public act, that I could eventually be thrown in jail for
> stalking. We tried to decide what the law should say about assembling
> public data to create a record of the moment by moment activities of an
> individual. We suspected that nothing in law would forbid that kind of
> surveillance, but it made some of us uneasy. So much of what we take to be
> our private lives, is, after all, just a way of organizing public data. **
> **
>
> ** **
>
> We then wondered what justified any kind of privacy law. If everybody were
> honest, the cameras would reveal nothing that everybody would not be happy
> to have known? Were not privacy concerns proof of guilt? No, we concluded:
> they might be proof of SHAME, but shame and guilt are not the same, and the
> law, *per se*, is not in the business of punishing SHAME.****
>
> ** **
>
> I thought our discussion was interesting for its combination of
> technological sophistication and legal naiveté.  (In short, we needed a
> lawyer)   In the end I concluded that, as more and more public data is put
> on line and more and more sophisticated data mining techniques are
> deployed, there will come a time when a category of cyber-stalking might
> have to be identified which involves using *public* data to track and
> aggregate in detail the movements of a particular individual.  Do we have
> an opinion on this?****
>
> ** **
>
> We will now be at St. Johns for the foreseeable future. ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Nick ****
>
> ** **
>
> Nicholas S. Thompson****
>
> Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology****
>
> Clark University****
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/****
>
> http://www.cusf.org****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --   Santa Fe, NM
USA<http://www.analyticjournalism.com/>
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
Twitter: jtjohnson
http://www.jtjohnson.com                  t...@jtjohnson.com