I don't have any real information nor the inclination to do the research, but
odds are that huge surveillance camera rollouts (as in city-wide) are IP not
analog cameras.  Since running cables is so expensive, they probably use either
wireless (GSM) to the monitoring center or at least wireless to a collection
point with fiber or ISP connection back to the monitoring center.  Sooner or
later, someone will steal one of the cameras, RE it, and find some sort of
common password, backdoor, or other vulnerability.  Most IP cameras use H.263
for the video - not all H.263 stacks are secure against fuzzing.  Since most
smart phones have GPS, wifi, and bluetooth, an app could be written that takes
advantage of the vulnerability to point the camera away (if it's PTZ) or simply
turn it off temporarily (no monitoring center can look at all cameras all the
time).  Sure, evidence of the turn-off would be evident in the Network Video
Recorder (NVR) but there would be no evidence of why.  Replacement of video is
not as easy as it seems - simple lack of video is just as good for privacy.

The point is that as more and more of our information is managed by computers,
more and more opportunity exists to change that information to suit our
purposes.  Paper records require physical access - virtual records require
virtual access which can be much easier.

  Here's another example - a while back some ID thieves discovered that all
they had to do to get access to a credit rating agency like TransUnion,
Experian, or Equifax is be a business and pay some money.  They used that
access to steal identify information and were caught when their volume rose to
the wholesale level.  If, instead, they used their privileged access to those
company's networks, they might have escalated their access and changed the
information in those networks.  Maybe they could have made as much money
offering a credit rating relief service as they did through ID theft.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)