It's hard to buy into that argument when it leaves us at the mercy of
incompatible versions of Direct X and problems of dealing with third party
drivers. In many ways, most the difficulties we experience started with and
continue to be driven by the game world. For many years graphics and
mathematical software was driven by the scientific community which valued
stability and backward compatibility. When the market became dominated by game
players who are willing to replace their entire systems every year, the
business changed dramatically, not only in terms of the software but also in
terms of the hardware.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
505-453-4944 (cell)                             http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel