Sorry for the double post, but I thought a bit more info from below the
fold of essay would help:

For non-technologists, this is all a black box. That is a great success of
technology: all those layers of complexity are entirely hidden and people
can use them without even knowing that they exist at all. <snip>

That is also why it's so hard for technologists and non-technologists to
communicate together: technologists know too much about too many layers and
non-technologists know too little about too few layers to be able to
establish effective direct communication. <snip>

That is why the mainstream press and the general population has talked so
much about Steve Jobs' death and comparatively so little about Dennis
Ritchie's: Steve's influence was at a layer that most people could see,
while Dennis' was much deeper. <snip>

Finally, last but not least, that is why our patent system is broken:
technology has done such an amazing job at hiding its complexity that the
people regulating and running the patent system are barely even aware of
the complexity of what they're regulating and running. <snip>