Interesting.  I suppose I'm guilty of dysrhetorica, here.  My intention
in describing my friend who is now receiving acupuncture was to orient
the conversation towards _action_ and away from thoughts about Truth.  I
tend to try telling stories of my actual experience with actual people
and events as a way of orienting the conversation away from ideology
toward methodology.

To me, this is in the same vein as Bruce's Feynman quote.  Feynman
suggests several experiments that might be performed, particular ways to
intervene in the miracles to see if/whether their outcome can be
manipulated.

But my rhetoric bit me in the @ss.  By using biased phrases like "burst
my placebo effect bubble", I defeated my own rhetorical purpose.  What I
should have said would be more like:

Should I have intervened in my friend's therapy?  If so, when?  If so,
how?  For example, from my own tiny research, I also read what Ron's
friend claimed, that acupuncture points are correlated with some
neuronal structures.  If the answer to when to intervene is
"immediately", then I should have immediately told my friend a) about my
skepticism and b) of this confirmatory correlation between acupuncture
points and neuronal maps.

If the beneficial effect is psychosomatic, then telling her about the
correlation would give her more power (even if insignificant) to improve
whatever mechanism she's already using.  And expressing my skepticism
might give her reason to do more research on her own.  It might also
provide a thicker skin for future skeptics who may be less friendly than
me.  On the other hand, she may choose to hear my words in such a way as
to limit or eliminate the beneficial effect.

I don't really care whether acupuncture is _truly_ false, truly True, or
anywhere in between.  What I want to know is what I can _do_ to make me
(and my friends) more likely to achieve my (their) objectives.

I know intellectually, however, that I appreciate it when my friends
provide alternatives to various modules in my world view.  So, it's
difficult and interesting to apply the Golden Rule to my actions with my
friend.  Did I keep my mouth shut because I somehow sensed she would be
detrimentally affected by any action I might have taken?  Or is it
perhaps that even though I _think_ I like for my friends to treat my own
views with skepticism, perhaps I really do _not_.  I.e. I was obeying
the Golden Rule and treating her as I (viscerally, not intellectually)
want to be treated?

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!