And given exponential growth in science, who knows first hand what the
variance in accepted scientific evidence actually is?

Any claims to know what science "is" and what scientists "do", for the
purposes of distinguishing between science and non-science, are claims to a
revealed truth, not something that anyone has established empirically.
 Ouch.

-- rec --