mar...@snoutfarm.com wrote at 09/16/2013 03:45 PM:
Well, I mean some mental models have to develop at the various levels of
the organization.  I used the term `motivation' to mean the process of
understanding enough of a sub-problem to propose a solution.  If the
problem is hard, the it may have to be sent out to all of the leaves of the
organization and come back to even determine feasibility.  On the other
hand, if there is a small super-knowledgeable and super-capable cadre of
workers, there is less of this percolation to wait on..

Ah!  OK.  I admit there's a type of latency in the cabal/incentive structure that
wouldn't exist in the more dynamic "extracurricular" ecology you propose.  But
I think it's more than compensated for by other latencies in the latter.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the
extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children
smart. -- H.L. Mencken