Tory/Marcus/Glen -

Good to hear your "voice" T, after a hiatus... (and that of Vladymir as well, also AWOL for some time?)

I think this discussion or even conflict is an important one, and tends to get argued on superficial grounds. This discussion, as it unfolds, promises to be a little deeper.

I have to support Tory's implications about belief, faith, and delusion. We tend to dismiss another's beliefs, no matter *what* they arise from or are grounded in as "delusion" if we don't share those beliefs (or perhaps just nuances of them). The three Ibrahamic religions, the several variants of Catholicism, the *many* variants of Protestantism are a good example of this splitting of hairs, whilst other religious or philosophical views would dismiss the entire concept of paternalistic creator out of hand, offering up yet another cosmology, code of conduct, etc. as "the one true way", then again factionating into the bigendians and little endians of Johnathon Swift's parody.

I am sympathetic with the view of the scientific method (repeatability) that Marcus presents, yet I fear it aggravates the issue in some ways, as it admits wholeheartedly that all theories are contingent and through experience, but also by the structure of the system, we realize that every "objective truth" found by science is contingent on new evidence and new theoretical structurings. I learned decades ago to not allow myself to think of Scientific Truths as absolute... wonderfully predictive in many contexts... powerfully supportive of engineering... but not the route to absolute Truth (if there even be such a thing?).

Our Faith in the scientific method, scientific thinking or the collective scientific institutions of the world is a form of Faith as well. And as Glen points out, there are some judgements of the collective scientific institutions which can be a bit hollow upon close inspection and those are the ones which often gather the most virulent advocates. I would suggest that all emergent phenomena fall into this category, with Darwinian Selection a most common example (Global phenomena such as emergence/divergence of species attributed to the local survival/selection pressures of the individual). Non Scientists who have strong Belief in Science perhaps do the worst damage... it is quite fashionable among the non-scientific intelligentsia to support Scientific Theories as if they were Truth. Evolution being a strong example. Anthropogenic Climate Change is perhaps becoming another. There is a lot of Scientific Evidence growing to support the latter and it is (in the past 10-20 years) fashionable to Believe in it, but it is far from a Scientific Certainty such as Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Relativity.

This *is* where *I* happen to put my Faith, what little I have... in the methods of Science and in Scientific Thinking as well, and I find it extremely difficult to put any similar Faith in another system... maybe most particularly those which attempt to adopt the tropes and trappings of Science. The suite of New Age ideas that arose (mostly) in the 1980s but often based in much older systems such as Astrology and Occultism were acutely difficult for me, as they suggest various forms of causality and imply "proof" by a (psuedo) scientific method.

While *I* cannot embrace any of the Theistic spiritual systems (religions by another name) literaly, I *do* find many of the more whimsical (my term) and colorful traditions such as the pantheons of egyptian/mesopotamian/hindu/greek/roman/norse and the animism of many aboriginal cultures extremely compelling, NOT to understand the physical world and it's idiosyncratic behaviour, but to understand the human world and *our* ideosyncracies whilst embedded *in* the physical world. Such systems do not provide any "answers" for me as such, but do often provide useful and interesting perspective.

I cannot help but think that for those who are entirely wedded to a singular religious system are drawn by the same features that I am... only they mistake weak correlation for strong causation. I am suspicious of the exclusionary nature of many religions especially one for which the highest sin is Shirk or belief in False Gods, or those which name it's adherents to be the "chosen people".... but *that* is a different issue than Belief, Faith, Truth methinks...

- Steve