Following on to Dave's thoughts on the relationship between anonymity and
freedom to express non-conforming opinions or behaviors, we can liken those
vehicles with totally blackened windows that allow some of their drivers to
have their basic, innate rudeness travel with them with impunity and
anonymity.  [For anecdotal evidence of this psychological phenomenon see
for example this study at
http://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/undergrad/ptacc/anonymity-driving-behavior.pptx
]

Back in February, the *New York Times* carried an article
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/opinion/social-media-destroyer-or-creator.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=0>
titled
"Social Media: Destroyer or Creator."  In the article, Wael Ghonim--the one
who is credited with starting the Arab Spring by way of
Facebook--characterizes the aspect of having the ability on the Internet to
respond to thoughts with our baser instincts only a click away this way: "My
online world became a battleground filled with trolls, lies, hate speech."
 [See
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/opinion/social-media-destroyer-or-creator.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=0
]

As Ghonim reveals in a subsequent TED Talk
<https://www.ted.com/talks/wael_ghonim_let_s_design_social_media_that_drives_real_change#t-798505>,
once the revolution spilled onto the streets, it turned from hopeful to
messy, then ugly and heartbreaking. And social media followed suit. What
was once a place for crowdsourcing, engaging and sharing became a polarized
battleground. Ghonim asks: What can we do about online behavior now? How
can we use the Internet and social media to create civility and reasoned
argument?  [See TED Talk at
https://www.ted.com/talks/wael_ghonim_let_s_design_social_media_that_drives_real_change#t-798505
]

Like Dave, I doubt that having the Government watching--they already do a
lot of this now--would have any effect on civil behavior anywhere because
mass surveillance by a government doesn't really exert any peer, parent, or
pal pressure.  Just strangers watching strangers doing ... and just my
$0.02.

Robert