Imagine a scale of "technology goodness" that runs from Preserve-Status-
Quo thru Exploit-Status-Quo thru Enhance-Status-Quo thru Variation-of-Status-
Quo thru Alternative-to-Status-Quo thru Disrupt-Status-Quo to Transform-Whole-
System.

Now use that scale as a horizontal axis and add a vertical axis
labeled number-of-potential-customers. The result will be a inverted
bell curve with the maximum number of customers at Exploit-Status-Quo
and Disrupt-Status-Quo.

The first maxima results from the inherent conservatism of most people.
The second results when a tipping point is passed (all my friends have
IPhones, I must have one as well) and the masses do their lemming leap.

Add to the mix the kind of "ultra-liberal technological determinism,"
pervasive in silicon valley et.al. — if only we had matter converters
and holodecks we would live in an egalitarian non-racist world without
money or war — and you get technology companies asserting that they are
not only disruptive, but the foundation for a massive transformation of
everything evil into something that is good.

If a company can sell itself as 'disruptive' it enhances the probability
of the occurrence of a tipping point and the resulting massive customer
base. Unfortunately, few of these technologies will ever be a foundation
for any real transformation because tech is far from all that is
required to bring such about.

BTW — The sole reason that I am attracted to The Donald is my conviction
that he would be disruptive but have no control over the potential
transformation that might — emphasize might — result. (Also, I would be
satisfied with a disruption that enhanced the paralysis of government,
and slowed the liberal autocracy from complete and total assumption of
control over every aspect of life.)

davew