Am I the only one that notices that Slate and Salon are prone knee-jerk
editorial responses to things?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdeterminism

________________________________
From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of glen ☣
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2017 12:24:57 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: [FRIAM] the self

So, I read this the other day:

The Promise of LSD Microdoses and Other Psychedelic "Medicines"
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-promise-of-lsd-microdoses-and-other-psychedelic-medicines/

and was reminded of Frank's dare to read:

The Analysis of the Self
http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/A/bo8324792.html

I subsequently forgot about it all.  But then this popped up:

The Dangerous Delusions of Richard Dawkins
http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerous-delusions-richard-dawkins

and:

Predictably, Salon publishes a new Dawkins hit piece, and it’s as dreadful as
you’d expect
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/predictably-salon-publishes-a-new-dawkins-hit-piece-and-its-as-dreadful-as-youd-expect/

I still feel (over 2 decades after making a fool of myself during a lunch at
the SFI) that the concept of "self" is the most abused concept of humanity's
entire existence.  Everyone uses it so often and in so many ways that it's pert
near meaningless, to someone like me, anyway.  What's amazing to me is that
everyone can go along on their happy pretense that they've communicated
something when they speak/write or hear/read the word.  It reminded me again of
the appeal (to me) of Hoffman's Interface Theory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY

Anyway, I have no point.  Any comments/laughter are welcome. 8^)

--
☣ glen