On 09/04/2017 01:26 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> I mean to balance culling of developed/adapted cells, it would be good to
> have stored blueprints in a refrigerator somewhere so that the poison doesn't
> harm them.

I don't understand what you're saying, really.  If we refine chemo so that it
becomes as specific as antibodies, then I'd say it's not a "poison" anymore.
But I'm always guilty of using language badly.  So, who knows?

> Could goal-oriented growth displace `bad' growth?  I'm thinking of Lance
> Armstrong's remarkable return to racing, for example.   Some massive energy
> draw that directs resources in a good way.
>
> Why should curtailing better than directing?   It seems counter-intuitive
> that a slow metabolism would be preferable to a fast one, when it comes to
> fighting disease.

I don't think it is necessarily better.  But we have to admit our ignorance.
By *promoting* some growth (in false distinction from curtailing all growth),
you have to have control of the system.  And there are way too many variables
for us to control.  My guess is, at this stage in our understanding of how
biology works, unbalanced promotion will find persnickety edge cases that
produce disease.

But the Lance Armstrong argument is NOT a promotion argument.  In order to
*perform* as a whole body, whatever supplements you're providing to promote one
thing over another, you are also curtailing everything else.  The body reacts
to extreme exercise in the same way it reacts to fasting, by restricting which
systems get the extra juice.

So the argument I (or Longo) might make is not that a slow metabolism MUST be
preferable, just that for most people, especially e.g. 70-year olds with fresh
diagnoses of cancer, fasting is likely to be easier than launching a bicycle
racing career.

--
␦glen?