There's some kind of exploit running around that tries to freeze your
browser by repeated file saves while posting a "You have been PWNED! Call
1-800-xxx-yyyy for help!" message, then they talk you out of your credit
card number, and so on, and so forth.  Affects several browsers, there were
earlier fixes but they're broken at the moment.  It sounds like your
computer is too old for the exploit to work correctly.

The immediate cure is to delete the window/tab that is running the exploit,
if you can identify it.  When you start firefox is it loading a collection
of saved tabs?

-- rec --