W. F. Donkin wrote:

"When several hypotheses are presented to our mind which we believe to be
mutually exclusive and exhaustive, but about which we know nothing further, we
distribute our belief equally among them .... This being admitted as an account
of the way in which we actually do distribute our belief in simple cases, the
whole of the subsequent theory follows as a deduction of the way in which we
must distribute it in complex cases if we would be consistent."

In another context, Eric mentioned the concept of branching structures.   In
mixed integer branch & cut solvers, the decisions concerning how to repeatedly
separate a problem into sub-spaces is one of the most crucial to get right.
There's a significant literature on it.   Some involve lookahead, others use
information theoretic techniques, others do aggregation of variables into
simpler forms.   Which one works the best, as far as I can tell, is problem
dependent.   It is some analogue to No Free Lunch, I suspect.   It is not
unreasonable for a solver to compete them, given the compute resources, however
the conclusion from that competition should not be that one policy is better
than the other.   Also it reminds me of Glens' advocacy of parallax.

Marcus