On 02/22/2017 09:45 AM, oldk1331 wrote:
> Should SUP be able to convert to InputForm?
> Is it meaningful to distinguish a SUP(R) and UP('?,R)?

Difficult question. My personal opinion: there is no variable in SUP(R).
However, the reality, i.e., the code speaks differently.

https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/blob/master-hemmecke/src/algebra/poly.spad#L1

That clearly means that, FriCAS treats "non-existing" variables as
equivalent to a variable with name "?".

Although I don't like it, I don't think it makes much sense to
distinguish SUP(R) and UP('?, R).

Another personal opinion. SUP(R) should only be used internally, i.e.,
as an auxiliary domain during computation where variable names are
unimportant. It should not get exposed to the user. In fact, I would
even go so far to remove all variable-name related exports from SUP and
maybe even not print SUP with ? as variable, but rather as list of
(coefficient,exponent) pairs... --> OK that output would be difficult to
read, so output with ? is OK.

Having said that, I don't think that conversion of SUP from/to InputForm
is not needed. For UP, however, having such conversion might be a good
idea, because there it is clear what the variable name is.

Ralf