Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2017 13:16:16 UTC+1 schrieb Bill Page:

> 'Martin R' wrote:
> > For the record: I always thought that InputForm would be intended to
> provide
> > a means to obtain a construction of an object.  Put differently,
> converting
> > an object x to InputForm and evaluating the result should equal x.
>
> The issue is the type of the object. InputForm certainly does provide
> a means to obtain the construction of some object but as an input form
> (often obtained from just parsing an input string) it usually does not
> have sufficient information to re-create an object of a specific type.

Indeed, in the past I considered these cases essentially as bugs or
shortcomings.  Maybe a bit more precise: I tried to make InputForm behave
"essentially" the way described above, because I deemed it desireable to
have
a simple InputForm if possible.  For example, I thought it would be OK that
4::INFORM = 4::NNI::INFORM = 4::POLY INT::INFORM.  However, I like that
the InputForm of 4 and 4::PF 5 are different.

Martin