On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Waldek Hebisch <hebi...@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

>> Waldek, your changes to fix this problem (SVN r2373 or git 6404dd01)
>> has made SBCL-1.4.5 to use 'make-array' instead of
>> 'sbcl_make_sized_vector', is that your intention?
>
> Yes.  We use 'sbcl_make_sized_vector' because it was much faster.
> But with new sbcl the claim is that 'make-array' is much
> faster than it was.

For small vector, 'sbcl_make_sized_vector' is faster than 'make-array'
in sbcl 1.4.5, it's 20% for vector with 10 elements.

It is a bug to have "`(ceiling (* ,n ,n-bits) sb-vm:n-word-bits)"
in 'sbcl_make_sized_vector', we should fix it to
"`(ceiling (* ,n ,nb) sb-vm:n-word-bits)".

Also I think it is better to use ALLOCATE-VECTOR-WITH-WIDETAG
than ALLOCATE-VECTOR.