Hello,

I have quickly looked into this also and yes Microsoft deprecates use of
mkdir for _mkdir
See : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235326.aspx

But MinGW/GCC etc. are not Microsoft. I have found in the past the WIN32,
WIN and even WIN64 macros.

Personally I'm also in favor of the dark side of the force here to
paraphrase Waldek.
Whether we use mkdir or _mkdir with or without argument what we want is
something that compiles here.
It could be a headache to play with different filesystems and their
interface, and even if I don't think Microsoft or MinGW will remove
the WIN32 macro the simpliest is I think testing code here.

Just my two cents

--
Greg