Solved!

Okay, I downloaded sbcl-2.0.2-x86-64-linux from http://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html

 and installed as root.  And that worked (+ 4 5) (simple things for simple people)

make clean

./configure

make

sudo make install

efricas

Seems okay: I ran the hyperdoc graphics example "Plotting Plain Algebraic Curves" and that worked.

---------- Two more things

1) Will the: fricas_jupyter.git  work if installed?

2) How do I bring the dpkg list up to date.  It ignored the above SBCL installation.

Ray