Thanks for taking the bait! :-)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:11 PM Kurt Pagani <nil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://fricas.github.io/api/GnuDraw.html?highlight=gnudraw
>
> It seems to be the only method at the moment (besides the built-in "draw")
> that can reliably produce graphics using fricas data. It is easy to use it in
> TeXmacs. One has to define a small function which calls gnuplot and
> inserts the picture into TM (there is a package TexmacsSupport @
> https://github.com/nilqed/spadlib/tree/master/tmspt (file src/tmspt.spad)
> which may help to show how it might go (see test_gnudraw.pdf), i.e.
> one has to combine the commands into a function ...

I greatly appreciate the hints and examples.

> Probably the Gnuplot plugin of TeXmacs could be called from within the
> fricas plugin (the scheme commands are known), however, it seems more
> simple to me using GnuDraw and insert produced png/ps or whatever than
> using another plugin.

Maybe you are right. I just seems a bit messy to have to use a
temporary file to communicate.

> > I think Kurt and Ralf are/were thinking of something like this for the
> > FriCAS Jupyter interface.
>
> We were (actually still are), but Ralf thought, it's better to start
> without graphics in the first release. He's certainly right, as there
> still is the agony of choice and lack of a reliable link to produce
> data from fricas objects.
> My favourite still is GLE (BSD, c code, only QGLE is LGPL). Provides
> really HQ (eps,pdf,...), or LaTeX/PGF/TikZ (GeoGebra, for instance,
> can export PGF).
>
> https://kfp.bitbucket.io/tmp/GLE.html

Looks great to me.

> You see, there are a lot of prototypes in the pipeline, however,
> without an initial impetus/decision which system to use (lcd) it
> might take ages ...

Let me at least add my strong encouragement for this addition to jfricas.

> BTW, I also find the "draw commands" not very flexible. It would be
> easy to slightly modify the draw and view2/3.spad files (as I did 4y
> ago according github;) in order to use one of the plot packages
> mentioned, but then you're sticked to those few methods/parameters.
> IMO a free format like )gnuplot or  )mplot should be used if one
> needs more than a toy.
> https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_input/tree/master/spad/draw

By )gnuplot are you suggesting a new command in FriCAS with this name?

Is your idea to provide tools in FriCAS just to generate package
independent data and then call an external package with the
desired options/functionality to actually produce the graphics?

Bill.