Thanks to everyone who helped resolve this problem.

As an aside, if anyone wants to try the latest TeXmacs, there are *static* binaries for Linux
now available, which should make the installation painless:

http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/linux.en.html

(There seem to be static binaries for MacOS and Windows as well.)

                        Kostas