On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 08:49:14PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Hi Waldek,
>
> it seems that it is too expensive to bring the wiki back.

Well, it boils down to versions of software.  VirtualBox
seem to be problmatic, version used in the past is not compatible
with upgraded system.  Newer VirtualBox apparently does not
work with old image.  So I am looking into different setup
for virtual machine.  One possible candidate is Xen, most
things looks good, but after installing Xen-enabled kernel
FriCAS seem to be much slower than before.  ATM it is not
clear for me what really caused this.  Could be some security
patch that just appeared when I installed new kernel.
Obvious net searches does not say anything.  It is not
clear if KVM (which seem to another possibility) causes
the same slowdown.

Anyway, there is new server hardware and things are slowly
moving forward.  New hardware was planned few month ago,
but became available only few weeks ago.  Waiting for
hardware I did not look at VM, as new hardware got
newer system and VM setup on old hardware probably would
be irrelevant to new one.

Currently my main priority is release, but after release
I will at the wiki.

> In the long run I propose to use the jupyter notebook format (actually with
> the help of JupyText ordinary .input files that follow a certain simple
> structure are sufficient) and store all this in the repo
>
> https://github.com/fricas/fricas-notebooks/
>
> and show it via (for example)
>
> https://fricas.github.io/fricas-notebooks/FriCAS-FirstSteps.html
>
> The git repo would also nicely record the history of the content.
>
> Just an idea.
> Of course, I'd need help to transfer important content from the wiki to the
> git repo.

I am not sure what you really propose.  One important point of FriCAS
Wiki is ablity to handle actual FriCAS input and show results.
Do Github allow installing our executable on their server for
this purpose?  My understanding was that this was not possible.
And handling input coming from net is reason for VM.

Another thing is that I would prefer wiki with simpler and more
rational structure.  It seems that Zope (on which current wiki
code is based) has a lot of fancy features, while we use only
tiny part of its functionality.  OTOH Zope has nasty feature
of keeping data in its "object store", which makes backup and
transferring data more complicated.  So I would welcome
_simpler_ and more managable system.  But I am not eager to
replace overengineered system that reasonably well satisfies
our need by something which drops needed functionaly.  And
I am not eager to replace one "object store" by different
"object store" which may be even less managable.