Atul Gohad wrote:
Hello,
Have a couple of questions here:
1. What is the mode in which normally FTP clients are supposed to connect (
Active / Passive )?
>     Whats the default / recommended mode of operation?

When FTP was defined, Active mode was the normal. However, with the current frequent use of firewalls, passive is a better choice.

Most clients in my experience still have active as the default.

2. There is a property setting of
config.listeners.default.data-connection.passive.external-address=192.1.2.3for
Apache FTP Server.
What is the significance of this property and what should be the value
provided for this? Should it be pointing to the ip address of the system
where the FTP server is running? I found this property some what related (
guessing by the name, and in the Server logs, it shows opening a passive
port connection on this ip with a random/ self generated port ). But not
sure if this configuration has something to do with the problem I see.

When the client tells the server that it wants to use passive mode (by sending the PASV commands), the server needs to tell the client where it should open the data connection (IP and port). Now, if the server is placed behind a NAT, the IP of the server box might not work for the client. Thus, this configuration tells the server to return that IP instead so that the client can connect via the NAT.

You problem sounds like it could be as simple as a firewall on the Redhat box getting in the way.

Hope that helps!

/niklas