Hello,

I have configured the FTP server using default listener port 21 and another
( customized ) listener using port 22.
The other properties are replicated as provided in the FTP server download.
When I run FTP server with this configuration on windows it works fine, but
on Linux ( RHEL ) it fails.

Basically when the clients try to open a Passive data port ( during commands
such as ls , put, get), the opening of data connection is failing.

Have a couple of questions here:
1. What is the mode in which normally FTP clients are supposed to connect (
Active / Passive )?
    Whats the default / recommended mode of operation?
2. There is a property setting of
config.listeners.default.data-connection.passive.external-address=192.1.2.3for
Apache FTP Server.
What is the significance of this property and what should be the value
provided for this? Should it be pointing to the ip address of the system
where the FTP server is running? I found this property some what related (
guessing by the name, and in the Server logs, it shows opening a passive
port connection on this ip with a random/ self generated port ). But not
sure if this configuration has something to do with the problem I see.

Any pointers on this would be really helpful.

Thanks,,
Atul Gohad.