i vote for option (3)

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Auftrag von Niklas Gustavsson
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. November 2007 15:18
An: ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Java 1.4 and 1.5

That was excellent timing, I had a draft of pretty much the same email
sitting waiting for completion tonight :-)

My vote is on 3 and I'm willing to continue apply patches for the 1.4
branch. But, I would like to drop 1.4 support for trunk since there are
tons of places where we could remove our somewhat crappy code for much
better patterns introduced by MINA.

If we agree on this way forward, I will make the changes this weekend.

/niklas

Dave Roberts wrote:
> We currently have the situation where the project builds and works
> with either JVM, although 1.5 is required for the SSL tests.
>
> Due to the need for 1.4 compatibility, we're using the 1.0.x code
> branch of MINA, the latest being 1.0.7.
>
> It's currently not possible to switch to the 1.1.x branch of MINA
> without making some code changes, to make use of the
> java.util.concurrent classes, rather than the ones provided in the
> backport-util-concurrent JAR.
>
> Certainly for me this has now become a problem where I've needed to
> change the FTP Server code to move forwards and make use of MINA
> 1.1.4.  Obviously this isn't a patch I can submit, as it will break
> our Java 1.4 compatibility.
>
> We have 3 options:-
>
> 1) Keep the code as it is, and remain compatible with both Java 1.4
> and Java 1.5.
>
> 2) Drop Java 1.4, change the code to use MINA 1.1.x and remove the
> dependency on backport-util-concurrent.
>
> 3) Create a 1.4 branch in Subversion. Keep the 1.4 branch as a
> maintenance release where only bugs are fixed, and the TRUNK version
> will move to Java 1.5, MINA 1.1.x and have all the new development.

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an external
partner or the Global Internet.

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain privileged
information.
If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any
of the information in it.
If you have received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the
sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be accessed by
someone other than the recipient, for system management and security reasons.
This access is controlled under Regulation of security reasons.
This access is controlled under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000,
Lawful Business Practises.