David,

I agree with you on replying a 550 message when the path does not exist.

IBM's AS/400 FTP server returns: 550  Path does not exist: zzz
ftp.netscape.com (anpnymous FTP Server) says: 550 zzz: No such file or
directory
Not sure what the server software is, but it claims that it is 220
spftp/1.0.0000 Server [204.2.225.157]

Regards,

Sai Pullabhotla
Phone: (402) 408-5753