On 03/ 6/15 12:02 PM, paul.sz...@sydney.edu.au wrote:
I notice that Java (JDK, JRE) update 8u40 has been released.
Though
   http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
says "this release includes important security fixes" ...

My reading of the first WWW page is that only Java SE 7 u75/76 contains
security fixes and that there are no security fixes in Java SE 8 u40.

Yes, they changed the wording since I wrote that! Noting that 7u75/76
are not new now, but were released in January.

Seems that 8u40 is simply a useability release; previous must have been
very bad, unusual that Oracle would release out-of-band.

Java 8u40 is a feature release that's been planned for almost a year, not
a special out of band bug fix release.

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/releases/8u40.html
https://blogs.oracle.com/thejavatutorials/entry/jdk_8u40_released

--