On 2015-03-07 15:00, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
So you did not notice the explanation that this would happen, right
there on the "continue the install" permission dialog?

The one we can see a screenshot of at, say:

    https://grahamcluley.com/2015/03/oracle-java-mac/

Your description rather strongly implies that you have no choice in
getting the Ask toolbar, which is untrue.

I understand that Mac users will likely not be _accustomed_ to such
permissions for _additional_ software, over and above the actual
software that they thought they were installing, being requested, BUT
unlike your description above and Ed Bott's at ZDNet (referenced in
another post in this thread), the user is actually given the choice to
not install the extra offer.

Of course, questions as to the desirability of the option being
pre-selected, and the possibly less than fully transparent directions
about the necessity of the offer are much the same with the Mac version
and the Windows version, whose permission dialog you can see here:

Unfortunately for Apple and for Mac users in general, Mac users are going to have to learn that the main security issue on Windows exists in OSX too: The user. The only real thing that has kept OSX safe from user-installed malware until now is the relative obscurity of OSX; as OSX gains enough market share to be worth malware author's time, we'll see more and more malware, ranging from bundleware that replaces user preference with a particular corporate interest, right up to full on trojans.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/