I raised earlier the question of how many of the world's 200
countries now have antimonopoly laws (and public agencies to enforce them)
and am told that the total is currently more than 60, a number that's
growing rapidly.  This suggests an interesting query:  What would be the
ideal or "model" antitrust law for all these nations, e.g., one that would
best maximize their per-capita GDPs?  Would it be different for the 3rd
world countries than for the richest?  What principles should be reflected
in that model worldwide antimonopoly law?

        My journal, the ANTITRUST LAW & ECONOMICS REVIEW, would love to
publish a variety of such model antitrust laws, along with their supporting
arguments.  To this end, I've drafted first what I call an "Antitrust Bill
of Rights,"
a set of guiding antimonopoly principles that I would like to see enshrined
in the law and policy of each of those 200 countries--principles that, I'm
confident, would splendidly enrich them.  Others will of course have
alternative views here and I would especially like to hear from those who
would like to offer theirs to the readers of my journal.  (For my address,
see my Web site, below.)

        I anticipate that my own "Antitrust Bill of Rights" will ultimately
number at least 12.  I offer here #1 and invite comment.  (Now donning, as
the saying goes, flame-retardant gear.)

                                              ****************************

                                                       ANTITRUST
                                                   BILL OF RIGHTS

        1.  The founding and operation of privately-owned economic
enterprises--and free and fair competition among them--is the ultimate
foundation of prosperity in every civilized society.  Accordingly, it is the
policy of this Nation to encourage, preserve, and protect the right of every
Citizen to create, own, and operate such an enterprise and to compete on
fair and equal terms with all others.

        Charles Mueller, Editor
        ANTITRUST LAW & ECONOMICS REVIEW
        http://webpages.metrolink.net/~cmueller