---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:57:59 -0500
From: Doug Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Water Wars Forecast If Solutions Not Found

apologies for x-postings

> Water Wars Forecast If Solutions Not Found
>
> NAIROBI, Kenya, January 1, 1999 (ENS) - A future war over water
> is a real possibility, according to Klaus Toepfer, director-general of
> the United Nations Environment Programme. Toepfer made his
> prediction during an interview that appears in the January 1 issue of
> the scientific journal Environmental Science & Technology, published
> by the American Chemical Society.
>
>           Klaus Toepfer
>
>           Echoing a view he says is shared by former U.N.
>           Secretary-General Boutros-Ghali, Toepfer is "completely
>           convinced" there will be a conflict over natural
>           resources, particularly water.
>
>           Toepfer, who assumed his current position with the U.N.
> in February 1998, is a former minister of the environment for
> Germany.
>
> "Everybody knows that we have an increase in population, but we do
> not have a corresponding increase in drinking water, so the result in
> the regional dimension is conflict," Toepfer says.
>
> Toepfer advocates monitoring worldwide reserves of drinking water
> and establishing cooperative agreements for the use of bodies of
> water, including groundwater.
>
> He calls for "economic instruments to stimulate use of new
> technologies" to promote water conservation.
>
> Predicting dramatic global population growth in the future, Toepfer
> cites the need for an "efficiency revolution." Any solution for
> addressing this growth must be linked with "new technologies that
> concentrate more on efficient use of limited natural resources," he
> says.
>
>                 These technologies must be available, "on
>                 preferential terms, to developing countries,"
>                 Toepfer says.
>
>                 This view is also shared by French President
>                 Jacques Chirac who warned of future water wars
>                 last spring. At the international conference on
>                 Water and Sustainable Development hosted by the
>                 French government at UNESCO Headquarters, the
>                 Organization’s Director-General Federico Mayor
>                 and Chirac, warned that, without international
> co-operation, dwindling water resources could threaten development
> and world peace.
>
> Speaking to government ministers from 80 countries, officials from
> international, local and non-governmental organisations, business
> leaders and scientists, Mayor cautioned that over-use, due to
> population growth, waste and pollution are turning water into a
> scarce resource.
>
> "As it becomes increasingly rare, it becomes coveted, capable of
> unleashing conflicts. More than petrol or land, it is over water that
> the most bitter conflicts of the near future may be fought," the
> UNESCO leader said.
>
> A stern water warning was also voiced at the conference by former
> Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, now president of the environmental
> watchdog group Green Cross International.
>
> "Based on population projections alone, some 33 countries are
> [...]

** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. **

Doug Hunt
Aspiring stone in the shoe of the dominant culture . . .
--
When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint,
When I ask why the poor have no food,