----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Global gas reserves are so great that it will be the fuel of the next
>century, replacing coal and oil as the main source of power, the conference
>heard.
>
>Peter Odell, professor emeritus of international energy studies at Erasmus
>university, Rotterdam, said the belief that fossil fuels would run out or
>be replaced by renewable energy was wrong.

I am going to find out for sure who Odell is, but based upon his
publications, I think he is an economist. In other words, he probably
assumes that energy is a function of price -- which anyone with a
brain realizes is wrong.

According to Campbell -- a geologist -- global natural gas production is
expected to "peak" a few years either side of 2020. [ p. 119, THE COMING OIL
CRISIS, by C. J. Campbell; Multi-Science Publishing Company &
Petroconsultants, 1997. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0906522110 ]

Bernabé -- major oil company CEO -- is more pessimistic and sees the peak in
global natural gas production about ten years earlier: 2010
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/98/0615/6112084a.htm

For the gas in the US, see Riva :
http://hubbert.mines.edu/news/v97n3/mkh-new4.html

The fact that economists are unanimously and consistently wrong doesn't make
them right.  I explain in great detail -- with examples -- why
economists-as-agroup are wrong about energy in my latest newsletter:
"The Foulest of Them All" at http://dieoff.com/page168.htm

Jay -- www.dieoff.com