---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:37:20 -0800 (PST)
From: MichaelP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Redifining progress - Indicators for Sustainable Development

[Sent via non-mmsubscriber email address)
FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:02:08 +1300
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>From this site http://iisd.ca/measure/compindex.asp comes a collection of
alternative indicators of progress, the site is part supported by the
World Bank!  and also by Redefining progress:

http://rprogress.org/
REDEFINING PROGRESS

           People know progress when they see it.

           Progress, for most people, enhances their quality of life --
for their families, their communities, and their future. Economic factors
are important, but somehow we have settled on measuring only economic
growth and calling that growth progress.

           "The official definitions of progress confuse more with better,
costs with gains, borrowing with earnings, and means with ends. To achieve
real progress we must learn to distinguish these again." -- Redefining
Progress in the Atlantic Monthly, 1995

           We think and act as if our economy, our environment, and our
society's needs are at best unrelated realms. Sometimes we put them at
odds with one another. We act as if environmental gains must bring
economic losses, as if social gains must limit economic growth.

           Redefining Progress seeks to shift the prevailing definition of
progress, from one based exclusively on a growing economy, to one that
resonates with people's sense of the quality of their lives.

           We believe that, as it stands today, our society faces a
troubling future. By using traditional financial measures as our primary
compass, we steer society on a course that all too frequently points us
away from progress.

           We believe real progress is possible--but first we have to
clear away the false notions about economic progress that stand in the
way.

       *** CALL for SUBMISSIONS *** What are you doing in the field of
sustainability indicators?  <http://iisd.ca/measure/compindex.asp>

The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is
conducting a major update of the online Compendium of Sustainable
Development Indicator Initiatives and Publications. Jointly funded by
Environment Canada, the World Bank, and IISD the Compendium is recognised
worldwide as a primary source of information on integrated socio-economic
and environmental performance measurement.

    *** ADD your initiatives!*** Those who wish to include descriptions of
their work, or the work of others in the Compendium, can easily do so by
using our online form available at:
   <http://iisd.ca/measure/compsub.asp>

Available in electronic format only, the Compendium is an easily
accessible information tool that includes over 140 different initiatives
detailing measurement methods, indicators, experts and publications,
ranging from local to global. The purpose?...to promote mutual learning,
synergies and alliances in the field of INDICATORS of Sustainable
Development.

Please visit and add your initiative(s) or send us your feedback. All
submissions are reviewed before inclusion in the Compendium. New entries
are added regularly.

   *** For more info contact ***
Andrew Hay, Research Associate
International Institute for Sustainable Development
Tel: +1 (204) 958 7746
Fax: +1 (204) 959 7710
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://iisd.ca/