----- Original Message -----
From: Eva Durant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Africa is a more sparsely inhabited continent
>than the others, even the fertile bits.
>East-Anglia and Belgium  e.g. are far more
>densely populated and there is no sign of dioff.

THE POPULATION EXPLOSION by Paul and Anne Ehrlich (1990)
Published by Simon and Schuster  Tel. 212-698-7000

OVERPOPULATION

Having considered some of the ways that humanity is destroying
its inheritance, we can look more closely at the concept of
"overpopulation."  All too often, overpopulation is thought of
simply as crowding: too many people in a given area, too high a
population density.  For instance, the deputy editor in chief of
Forbes magazine pointed out recently, in connection with a plea
for more population growth in the United States:  "If all the
people from China and India lived in the continental U.S.
(excluding Alaska), this country would still have a smaller
population density than England, Holland, or Belgium." *31

The appropriate response is "So what?"  Density is generally
irrelevant to questions of overpopulation.  For instance, if
brute density were the criterion, one would have to conclude that
Africa is "underpopulated," because it has only 55 people per
square mile, while Europe (excluding the USSR) has 261 and Japan
857. *32  A more sophisticated measure would take into
consideration the amount of Africa not covered by desert or
"impenetrable" forest. *33  This more habitable portion is just a
little over half the continent's area, giving an effective
population density of 117 per square mile. That's still only
about a fifth of that in the United Kingdom.  Even by 2020,
Africa's effective density is projected to grow to only about
that of France today (266), and few people would consider France
excessively crowded or overpopulated.

When people think of crowded countries, they usually contemplate
places like the Netherlands (1,031 per square mile), Taiwan
(1,604), or Hong Kong (14,218).  Even those don't necessarily
signal overpopulation -- after all, the Dutch seem to be
thriving, and doesn't Hong Kong have a booming economy and fancy
hotels?  In short, if density were the standard of
overpopulation, few nations (and certainly not Earth itself)
would be likely to be considered overpopulated in the near
future.  The error, we repeat, lies in trying to define
overpopulation in terms of density; it has long been recognized
that density per se means very little. *34

The key to understanding overpopulation is not population density
but the numbers of people in an area relative to its resources
and the capacity of the environment to sustain human activities;
that is, to the area's carrying capacity.  When is an area
overpopulated?  When its population can't be maintained without
rapidly depleting nonrenewable resources (or converting renewable
resources into nonrenewable ones) and without degrading the
capacity of the environment to support the population.  In short,
if the long-term carrying capacity of an area is clearly being
degraded by its current human occupants, that area is
overpopulated. *35

By this standard, the entire planet and virtually every nation is
already vastly overpopulated.  Africa is overpopulated now
because, among other indications, its soils and forests are
rapidly being depleted -- and that implies that its carrying
capacity for human beings will be lower in the future than it is
now.  The United States is overpopulated because it is depleting
its soil and water resources and contributing mightily to the
destruction of global environmental systems.  Europe, Japan, the
Soviet Union, and other rich nations are overpopulated because of
their massive contributions to the carbon dioxide buildup in the
atmosphere, among many other reasons.

Almost all the rich nations are overpopulated because they are
rapidly drawing down stocks of resources around the world.  They
don't live solely on the land in their own nations.  Like the
profligate son of our earlier analogy, they are spending their
capital with no thought for the future.

It is especially ironic that Forbes considered the Netherlands
not to be overpopulated.  This is such a common error that it has
been known for two decades as the "Netherlands Fallacy." *36  The
Netherlands can support 1,031 people per square mile only because
the rest of the world does not.  In 1984-86, the Netherlands
imported almost 4 million tons of cereals, 130,000 tons of oils,
and 480,000 tons of pulses (peas, beans, lentils). It took some
of these relatively inexpensive imports and used them to boost
their production of expensive exports -- 330,000 tons of milk and
1.2 million tons of meat. The-Netherlands also extracted about a
half-million tons of fishes from the sea during this period, and
imported more in the form of fish meal. *37

The Netherlands is also a major importer of minerals, bringing in
virtually all the iron, antimony, bauxite, copper, tin, etc.,
that it requires.  Most of its fresh water is "imported" from
upstream nations via the Rhine River.  The Dutch built their
wealth using imported energy.  Then, in the 1970s, the discovery
of a large gas field in the northern part of the nation allowed
the Netherlands temporarily to export as gas roughly the
equivalent in energy of the petroleum it continued to import.
But when the gas fields (which represent about twenty years'
worth of Dutch energy consumption at current rates) are
exhausted, Holland will once again depend heavily on the rest of
the world for fossil fuels or uranium. *38

In short, the people of the Netherlands didn't build their
prosperity on the bounty of the Netherlands, and are not living
on it now. Before World War II, they drew raw materials from
their colonies; today they still depend on the resources of much
of the world. Saying that the Netherlands is thriving with a
density of 1,031 people per square mile simply ignores that those
1,031 Dutch people far exceed the carrying capacity of that
square mile.

This "carrying-capacity" definition of overpopulation is the one
used in this book. *39  It is important to understand that under
this definition a condition of overpopulation might be corrected
with no change in the number of people.  For instance, the impact
of today's 665 million Africans on their resources and
environment theoretically might be reduced to the point where the
continent would no longer be overpopulated.  To see whether this
would be possible, population growth would have to be stopped,
appropriate assistance given to peasant farmers, and certain
other important reforms instituted. Similarly, dramatic changes
in American lifestyle might suffice to end overpopulation in the
United States without a large population reduction.

But, for now and the foreseeable future, Africa and the United
States will remain overpopulated -- and will probably become even
more so. To say they are not because, if people changed their
ways, overpopulation might be eliminated is simply wrong --
overpopulation is defined by the animals that occupy the turf,
behaving as they naturally behave, not by a hypothetical group
that might be substituted for them. [p.p. 37-40]

Jay
COMING SOON TO A LOCATION NEAR YOU!
http://dieoff.com/page1.htm