Greetings,

The article below pertains to COMMONS beyond traditional usage. It also
uses a broad notion of "externalities". There is as much economics as
politics involved (IMO), although it is written as a piece on democracy. I
don't agree with everything in it, particularly the statement about
corporate ability to produce excess.(what goods & for how long? food?
potable water?...)

As I'm unsure of copyright restrictions, I'm only posting an excerpt. The
actual publication in which it appears is SPLICE, listed below. Perhaps
GRAIN will fwd the complete post to you upon request.

Steve

"BIO-IPR is an irregular listserver put out by
Genetic Resources Action International (GRAIN). Its purpose is to circulate
information about recent developments in the field of intellectual property
rights related to biodiversity & associated knowledge. BIO-IPR is a
strictly
non-commercial and educational service for nonprofit organisations and
individuals active in the struggle against IPRs on life. The views
expressed
in each post are those of the indicated author(s).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE -- To get on the mailing list, send the word "subscribe"
(no quotes) as the subject of an email message to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. To get off the list, send the word
"unsubscribe" instead. To submit material to the list, address your message
to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. A note with further details about BIO-IPR is sent
to all subscribers.
ABOUT GRAIN -- For general information about GRAIN, you may visit our
website http://www.grain.org or send an email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

TITLE: Can democracy cope with biotechnology?
AUTHOR: Alan Simpson, Member of Parliament (UK)
PUBLICATION: Splice, Vol 5, Issue 2
DATE: January 1999
SOURCE: The Genetics Forum

CAN DEMOCRACY COPE WITH BIOTECHNOLOGY?

by Alan Simpson
Member of Parliament

Developments in biotechnology are raising many concerns - ecological,
social, ethical - but what Alan Simpson MP sees as the most insidious
result
of this biotech age is it's threat to democracy.

The threat biotechnology poses to democracy may not be immediately
apparent.
Threats to democracy usually come in the form of out of favour dictators,
not the test-tube. But I will argue that the threat is real.

However, it first needs to be seen in the wider context of an economic
globalisation, already heading towards collapse. Fundamentally, the
question
is whether civic democracy is compatible with global deregulation, and
whether the WTO's intellectual property rights' for biotechnology
discoveries will take us all into an era of corporate feudalism.

The world is being spun around by big corporations who have an ability to
produce more goods than the world can consume. And so, they focus their
efforts on consuming each other, along with any smaller elements that get
in
the way.  They do this with the approval of government policy, and
international treaties, which are designed to create a world fit for the
corporations to dominate. This is an unsustainable state of affairs, and it
takes on an even more ominous dimension when you look at the world of
biotechnology.

There are two separate aspects to consider:

1.      The nature of scientific change, and
2.      The ownership of that change.

First, there is no doubt that the rate of change is breathtaking. In
itself,
this distorts our view about the nature of the world. We are in real danger
of believing industry claims about science as a world of magic cures; that,
somehow, modified genes will end all illness; or modified crops will grow
in
any conditions, resistant to all blight. That is arrant nonsense. It is a
fundamental aspect of life on earth, that nature has never given us the
gift
of infallibility.

Our ecosystem carries no guarantees of a world free from droughts, floods
or
crop failures. And by and large, the world is kept in balance by dint of
this diversity. The strength of this diversity is that not all varieties of
a crop get destroyed, and not all of a population succumbs to a particular
illness. In general, nature also provides access to cures for the ills that
it throws up.

Biotechnology is in danger of simply destroying our ability to apply this
common sense to common science. And politicians are amongst the least able
to grasp this. We are either invited into a knee-jerk reaction 'against'
it,
on almost anti-science terms; or towards an uncritical 'yes', as part of
the
thoroughly modern (and pliable) parliament that industry demands. In the
past we always used to be guided by the precautionary principle, that if we
were not clear about the consequences of a new drug or product, public
safety would over-ride commercial exploitation as the guiding principle.
Now
we are being driven to accept change at a much faster rate. Not because it
is safer, but because some of the corporations who own patents stand to
make
large sums of money if they can be in the arena before their competitors.
This takes me on to the second point.

My contention is that the rush into biotechnology, through patents, is, in
itself, anti-research, anti-science and anti-democratic. It breaks with the
traditions of research being done in pursuit of a cure, not a fortune; of
farmers saving seeds, propagating plants and sharing them as protection
against the larger, unpredictable forces of nature. These cures and the
seeds have always been part of the global commons. Patenting has distorted
our understanding of this.

(SNIP)