For comments on Lange see:  http://econc10.bu.edu/copy_of_econsys/Theory/Lange.htm

His work, of course, predates the development of linear programming and its more
complex successors, and computers. It strikes me that the work of Douglas Wilson
and its focus on the optimal allocation of people to jobs, spouses and friends (if
I understand him correctly!) also parallels Lange's thinking,
<http://www.island.net/~dpwilson/index.html>

Such thinking as the above probably is not dissimilar in principle to that
envisioning process control by humanoid computers.

I guess it all goes back to Frankenstein and Golems!

Bob

--
http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/