This has been a wonderful conversation.  I would like to add my two
cents which is not much different but is some.   Esther Dyson on that
URL that I posted earlier, makes a point about value that is very much
in keeping with the mentality of TV and the defense industries.  Because
we cannot truly fund creativity, it makes more sense to give it away and
to fund the truly banal activities that everyone believes they need, like
advertising for example or $500 toilet seats on military aircraft.  Since the
bidding process makes them undervalue what is truly valuable and necessary
they charge for the common things or hide the charges in those areas.  Hence
the Congressional "expose's" that appear from time to time.

Dyson states the theory very neatly as she restates it for the internet and
especially computer software.

The only problem lies in the equation that says that value = financial worth,
and the reverse.

Such an equation elevates the banal and diminishes the truly unique aspects
of humanity.   Humanity is not to be found in banking or wall street but in the
great soaring work of the human spirit.  But that work is easily enjoyed by all
when accomplished.  It is difficult to charge a ticket for its enjoyment and have
its
remuneration equal  its cost.  Almost anyone can free ride on the public welfare
in these projects.   The internet as well as a mediocre product like a TV Sitcom
suffers from this same productivity problem.   It is advertisement that is
valuable
while the "drama" is a vehicle and thus less valuable.  The Internet is supplied
by
the government but no one wants to admit such a thing and thus claims that it
is paid for by the servers which is nonsense since without the government it
would
collapse or be taken over by the TNCs and made impossible for people like you
and I.   All of this chatter is no more in their self interest than free lawyers
for the poor were prior to Reagan's cutback of such.   That is why we get this
letter about individual telephone charges for e-mail on a regular basis.  We know

that it will happen if they have the power to cut us off.

So if you raise the value of the banal and diminish the value of the truly
valuable
then what you get is an irrelevancy and decadence.  Which is what we saw with
the IMF in Yugoslavia and other places and what we are seeing with the singular
dominance of the linear reality of pure cash.    Artists made the same mistake
when
they raised the value of the "culture of the rich to themselves" for the purpose
of
funding unprofitable art in the 1880s.  That led to a century of elitism and a
collapse
of real artistic creativity.

What we got was Art as the precursor to targeted advertising.  The middle and
lower
classes got sitcoms while the rich got symphonies.  Both served as advertisement
for something beyond itself and its real value.

Capitalism and Western religion has screwed it up in the last century.  We are
now
responsible for the results.  I would recommend a read in the Dyson article even
though she is a grazer and advocates such.  IMO the issue of value is the core
issue from which all of these problems spring and I don't see economics or any
other
profession having come close to dealing with it.

Regards

REH