Arthur,

I think that perhaps Bastiat's 'things seen and unseen'
should be required reading for economists and politicians.
You'll find it in "Economic Sophisms".

We don't like work. You'll recall the second assumption of
Classical Political Economy: "People seek to satisfy their
desires with the least exertion."

Our objective is not to work but to get the things that are
the result of working.

Yet, our economic theory and practice is devoted to finding
work for people. Modern economics is 'upside down'.

The second Classical assumption is that: "People's desires
are unlimited." (It's actually "Man's desires are
unlimited" but I'm being politically correct.)

Other than perhaps survival our desires will probably not
be the same. One's objective may be to own a Cadillac, or
to walk across the Appalachian Trail.

But, whatever it is, the objective is not to spend 8 hours
a day on the bench. It's to spend as little time as
possible there.

When economists start thinking like this, perhaps economics
will begin to look like a science again.

Harry

**********************************
Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles.
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
818 352-4141
**********************************

Behalf Of
> Cordell, Arthur: ECOM
> Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 9:06 AM
> To: Ed Weick; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Christoph
Reuss
> Subject: Re: [Futurework] More gloooooooom
>
> I think it is about trade between two entities with
radically different
> wage structures, environment controls, labour laws, etc.
Two
> entities
> that have developed in different ways are now trading.
There is
> going
> to be a problem in the developed, higher wage country.
Its
> inevitable.
>

> Is such trade a good thing to do?  It depends. On whether
you are
> worker in Detroit, in China or whether you are
stockholder.  It also
> depends on whether over the longer term there will be
sufficient
> economic activity and taxes paid in the high wage country
> continue
> with the range of social amenities that define a
developed country.

> Arthur

Behalf Of
> Ed Weick
> Sent: Friday, July 6, 2007 11:34 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Christoph Reuss
> Subject: Re: [Futurework] More gloooooooom
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm not really sure that free trade plays much of a role
in this.
> Chrysler,
> now uncoupled from Daimler, has not had a happy history
> recently. Last
> year
> it lost nearly $700 billion dollars and its sales and
market share
> have
> been
> declining. It has to do something, and selling the
ultra-inexpensive
> Chinese
> made Chery to, initially, Latin America and Eastern
Europe, then
> Western
> Europe and North America, seems like a logical way to go.
But
> doing that
>
> could have a huge potential impact on production and jobs
in the
> US and
> Canada. Something I read said that Chrysler is already
planning to
> cut
> 13,000 jobs and close a plant in Delaware. And if
Chrysler is
> moving
> production to China, it is entirely possible that General
Motors and
> Ford
> are also thinking about it.
>
> Ed

lowest
> cost
> >
> > "Trumping" on the supply side, perhaps, but certainly
not on the
> demand
> > side.
> >
> > News items like Ed's just confirm that the Free Trade
insanity
> has to
> be
> > stopped before it destroys the future of work and the
> environment,
> i.e.
> > The Future!
> >
> > Chris

> ~~~~~~
> ~~~~
> > SpamWall: Mail to this addy is deleted unread unless it
contains