Both Gail and Natalia have commented on various aspects of our current
economic definitions of "work" and the ecological, social and human
consequences of these.

Both bemoan the ways in which we currently organise ourselves to get done
what needs doing.  Natalia questioning the priorities which courts and
governments give when they licence organisations to create 'work' and Gail
questions why we seem to like factory models more than family models.

These are really key questions, and increasingly serious concerns.

I think both Gail and Natalia agree with me that we have 'evolved' to the
point where non-reciprocal exchange based economies are not conceivably part
of our future.  Another way of saying this is that money and exchange are
unavoidably part of our future.

I know there are many who would wish this was not the case, and even some
who are trying to conceive ways in which it won't be, but I for one can't
see us going back to us all providing for our own needs, or providing in
very small groups for our collective needs.

Hence, we are stuck with money - and to large measure therefore stuck with
economics (though I acknowledge the very good work being done by a number of
economists to try and modernise economics).

I reached this conclusion some time ago, and hence have spent much of the
past few years studying money quite intensively - because I hate what our
current money systems are doing to us and to our planet.

This work has lead me to alternative approaches to money, to community
currencies based around locally determined value systems.

I am increasingly convinced that a properly constructed (and connected)
system of local currencies would complement our current national and
international currencies and would allow us to change the way we work (and
remunerate our work).

We are by no means the first to come to this conclusion.  Tom Greco and
Bernard Lietaer (to name just two) have been talking about community
currencies for years. And there seems to be some evidence that these ideas
are gaining momentum.

We are currently talking with some mainstream financial services
organisations about how they might get in at the leading edge of this
movement.

This is about the only way I can see to address the issues which Gail and
Natalia raise.

Charles Brass
Chairman
futures foundation
phone:1300 727328
(International 61 3 9459 0244)
fax: 61 3 9459 0344
PO Box 122
Fairfield    3078
www.futuresfoundation.org.au

the mission of the futures foundation is:
"...to engage all Australians in creating a better future..."