Gail

Thanks for the opportunity, and I really appreciate the difficulty of getting
these ideas into a coherent form.  I share Mike Spencer's frustration with the
construction of the sentences, but as I have struggled for over ten years to
get these ideas across, I can empathise with your group.  I should say that I
don't share Mike's contraction of your last sentence.  I don't see what you are
struggling to describe as being some sort of return to small village life, I
see it as a reinvention of some of the good parts of that life in a 21st
century context. I do think he has done a somewhat admirable job in contracting
the first three sentences, and I repeat his versions below.  But I don't think
he has captured enough of the intent, so I am going to make a few more comments
below his three.

 1.   The world is unstable and the future promises to be chaotic,
       yet we find it hard to believe it can get any worse than it already is
       though it very well may.

  2.   We have to learn to do necessary and useful stuff for
       ourselves, invest in the tools to to it; do it for ourselves;
       do it for or with our neighbors when or as appropriate; and
       encourage our neighbors to reciprocate.

  3.   See 2.  Doing this will make us happier and better off in
       general, especially if all our friends and neighbors do the
       same.

Mike focuses on the "doing necessary and useful stuff for ourselves" aspect of
your four paragraphs.  I think your conception goes beyond that (and you try to
reflect that in your paragraphs, which is why they do become so convoluted).
What you are trying to capture, I believe, might be approached from the
scarcity/abundance frame.  If you believe that "work" or "jobs" are scarce  -
both in the absolute sense and in the sense that 'good jobs' or 'good work' is
scarce - then what we currently do makes sense.

If you believe, however, in abundance - then our systems might organise
themselves so that people can make and do what makes sense to them and their
current circumstances, confident in the knowledge that if their attitudes or
circumstances change they can move to something else which now makes sense to
them.

If we could capture this in Mike's first three sentences I think we would have
made an improvement, and I would try to capture your fourth by saying:

4.    and if we do this we will all feel as though everything we do in our
lives, including all of our work, provides meaning to us, to those with whom we
interact and to the world.

regards

Charles Brass
Chairman
futures foundation
phone:1300 727328
(International 61 3 9459 0244)
fax: 61 3 9459 0344
PO Box 122
Fairfield    3078
www.futuresfoundation.org.au

the mission of the futures foundation is:
"...to engage all Australians in creating a better future..."