Are you challenging the notion of choice?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence de Bivort [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 3:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Sociology/Victimology 101 (was Re: Women love the burka!)

Well, Arthur, it is that assumption, precisely, that I am challenging. How
would you know you don't have to talk to any of them? How in the world can
you be so certain, except by simply (and possibly blindly) 'being certain'.
It is, I would suggest, an untested and hence unmerited certainty.

If you are willing to pay attention to her eyes (and read so much into
them!) why not go a step further and actually, gulp, converse with the/a
real person?

Why, why, why have western males become so certain of their certainty?  It
boggles my mind how much that is fundamental importance we western males
don't know, and don't know that we don't know.

What in the world do you do with the Muslim women in the US (and I assume
Canada) who are deciding now to cover themselves, or even wear a veil? Or
have you decided that they are all being forced to do so, or are simply
stupid and deluded?  I do think you can only figure this out by asking....
Why so resist the idea of doing so?

By the way, it occurred to me that many of those on this list might not know
_how_ to go about having such talks. If this is the case, please let me know
and I'll give you a couple of easy-to-implement ideas.

Best regards,
Lawry