Harry,

At 14:05 27/06/2003 -0700, you wrote:
<<<<
Ray loves to josh and he mixes it into his wonderful "stream of consciousness" writing. (He doesn't like my describing it that way.) I enjoy it. Keith has been a bit affronted, apparently but, bless him, he made his point like a gentleman.

Yes, I like to think I'm a gentleman. That's one of my greatest aspirations. I think you are, too. Perhaps it's because we are so bloody English. Even though you and I differ very considerably on several points, I think we both keep to facts as often as we can and we don't characterise each other's postings as "shit" or "garbage". If you were to use these words about what I write, I wouldn't be affronted. I would just consider that your argument has little merit and not worth any reply.

You and I are both from the working class, so we are not natural friends of the rich or the establishment, even though we often admire the enterprising. We are both enemies of corruption, whether practised by businesspeople or politicians. You and I both reached (were elected to) senior positions in the Liberal Party in England in the 1960/70s, so I like to think that we couldn't have reached those positions unless we were both considered to be reasonably fair-minded by our peers. Yet both of us are sometimes anathematised by some who consider themselves to be gloriously free from the normal courtesies because they are so obviously and 100% *right* in what they emote about, whether it's aesthetics, sexuality, politics, economics, history, philosophy, race, science or just about anything.

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson, 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath, England