But, Harry, what do we do now??

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 11:46 AM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Engineering the economy

Arthur,

"Quick, lock the barn door - the horse has gone."

I think, Arthur old lad, that you are coming late to the table.

First, you allow a milking of the community - a process that heaps up giant
fortunes, Then you want to take part of those fortunes to give back to the
people enough to keep them quiet.

Stop the hemorrhaging caused by privilege, so that people keep the wealth
they create - then you won't have to contrive methods such as "Basic
Income" to get a smidgen of it back.

What ever happened to the radical left?

Arthur wrote:

>Lots of interesting stuff here.
>
>It seems that political will to allow people to think "the unthinkable" is
>needed.  That is that the production problem is solved. We now turn our
>attention to distribution in the context of social cohesion.  That this may
>include basic income.
>
>But what about the "less developed world"?  And what about globalization?
>What happens to land values and financial markets when we say that our
>obsession with growth is coming to an end?
>
>arthur

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: (818) 352-4141  --  Fax: (818) 353-2242
http://home.attbi.com/~haledward