In looking through all the focus code recently I was reminded of
something that has puzzled me for some time. Does anyone know a really
good reason why the window list is reordered two different ways on a
focus change, depending on whether the newly-focused window is
ClickToFocus or MouseFocus?

        (If the newly-focused window is MouseFocus, that window is plucked out
of the list and inserted at the top, so the list reflects the order of
most- to least-recently focused windows; if the newly-focused window is
ClickToFocus, the list is effectivel rotated so that the target window
is at the top, but the relative order remains the same.)

        This goes way back to the Version 1 days, when the focus policies were
an all-or-nothing proposition (i.e., not Style options), and
ClickToFocus mode didn't reorder the window list on a focus change. I
don't remember what the reason for this was, but I question whether it's
really useful to try to preserve this behavior. Since you can have a
mixed-mode configuration (i.e., some mousey-focus windows and some
clicky), this just seems to engender confusion about the meaning of the
window list order. In fact, it really isn't meaningful if you have
different focus policies in effect for different windows.

        Any ideas?

Cheers,
Bob