Olivier Chapuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have a concrete proposition for improving FVWM documentation. This
> has been discussed a number of time and I think that action is
> needed. I am really agree with the last mail of Dominik on the
> subject.

I'm sorry, what did Dominik say?

> I've just this mail in my brain but roughly speaking we need:
>
> - The current man pages
>
> - Improved HTML version of the documentation (better inter-link that
> we have now with the man to html conversion).

Right now we have links to external places, for example, for
the libstroke package, and links to our other man pages, for
example the modules like FvwmPager.

I guess you mean you'd like to see links to other parts of
the man page, for example when it mentions colorsets, you'd like
a link to the colorset section.

> - Possibility to have a printable version of the documentation.
>   I.e., a ps and/or pdf FVWM book.

I'd add, the ability to include images.
Some of the documentation talks about visual effects,
but there are no illustrations in our documentation.

A while back I suggested junking the man pages and
going to straight html.  There were objections so it never
happened, but I'm still not convinced that man pages are
necessary.

> I think that what we need is SGML+DocBook. The LDP and numerous open
> source project use this now.

> So, let us be concrete. Attached to this message a tar.gz ball which
> contains an experimentation: the conversion of a very small part of
> the FVWM doc into SGML. The source are sgml files and utilities:
> I need some comment before I do (or not) the full translation to the
> new format.

The generated man pages and html look pretty good.

However the .sgml is really hard to read.
The markup gets in the way.
I don't know if I'd like trying to edit the sgml with emacs or vi.

The little POD that I've seen looked better.  But I don't think
POD allows for images either.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]