On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:48:43PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> On 7/8/06, seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Um, why?  We've never had any 'secret' features (at least not on
> >> purpose).  Every option is documented, even if it's frowned upon.
> >
> >The -blackout code was removed a long time ago. The warning I refer to
> >was put there by you in 1999 (pre-2.4) so that people who used to
> >start fvwm with the -blackout option could still do it, even if it
> >didn't do nothing. There was really no option -blackout, fvwm just
> >accepted it and said "it doesnt do nothing anymore", instead of
> >refusing to start. It's there (the warning) since 1999, so I guess no
> >one needs that anymore..

Well, we have been very *very* conservative in the past about
backwards compatibility - and that patch breaks it.  It's no
longer possible to start fvwm with "-blackout".  I don't think
this is the right time to remove it.  Of course it's obsolete and
useless, but in the 2.x series we tried to keep compatibility as
much as possible.  The ominous 3.0 release (which is meant to
remove a lot of old and obsolete stuff) would be the place to
clean everything up.

> I'm still a bit overwelmed by the commit access, so I triple-check
> (instead of double-check) what I do :)

Well, I certainly don't want to discourage you from doing usefull
work, but please don't become too eager committing potentially
harmful changes without discussing them.  Compatibility is a
sensitive issue, and we have spent lots of time thinking about the
right way to go.

(The fact that most of us don't have time to write patches
nowadays does not mean we don't have the time to argue about
patches ;-) )

Ciao