I've never quite made my mind up whether to use several Desktops or
several Pages on one desktop, what are the reasons (if any) for
choosing one or the other?

I've never found any use for running a program with a window larger
than my screen size, I rarely (but very occasionally) would like to
drag a window from one place to another.

So for me Pages will work *slightly* better than Desktops except that
they don't have names.

In many ways it seems a rather artificial distinction that causes some
confusion and doesn't offer much useful, but maybe I'm not seeing
something obvious.

(Yes, I know a Page is a 'screens worth' of a Desktop, but I don't see
what use that is to me)

--
Chris Green