On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 10:06:33PM +0100, Michael Großer wrote:
> I recommend to recheck this piece of documentation:
>
> +---------------------+----------------------------+
> |res_class            |                            |
> |                     | Runs  when  the   WM_CLASS |
> |                     | property   of   a   window |
> |                     | changes.                   |
> +---------------------+----------------------------+
> |res_name             |                            |
> |                     | Runs  when  the   WM_CLASS |
> |                     | property   of   a   window |
> |                     | changes      (for      the |
> |                     | resource).                 |
> +---------------------+----------------------------+
>
> Since the ICCCM standard clearly contains both a
> WM_CLASS property and a WM_NAME property, the man-page
> reader could think that there is an error when
> WM_CLASS runs "res_class" and
> WM_CLASS runs "res_name".

No.  They both come from the XClassHint struct.   This has nothing to do
with WM_NAME, and the above does not allude to or mention WM_NAME.

> The man-page should explain why not
> WM_NAME does run "res_name". Why WM_CLASS?

See above.

> Or is there an error?

See above.

This event, along with res_name, are only useful for things like
add/configure_window events as that's one of the main times such packets are
sent.

Note that it is forbidden by the ICCCM for the class name to be changed once
the window has left the Withdrawn state.

"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)