On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 05:07:07PM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:27:51PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> This intended to be something fairly long-running, and I personally don't
> >> wish to make the UI decisions myself, although I will keep a very close eye
> >> on the FVWM-specific aspects of a proposed config to make sure it's done
> >> "right".
> >>
> >> What do I mean when I say "right"?  Well, for far too long now FVWM has had
> >> a major thorn in its side -- the default config *sucks* to put it bluntly.
> >> It's been a well known issue for years that it looks like a throwback to
> >> 1995 [1] and it's time to modernise it a bit.
> >>
> >> There was an aborted attempt at this by Nick Fortune and myself [2] which
> >> you should read before attempting this, as although the thread is a good
> >> five years old now, the concept in there are not.  *Please read it*.
> >>
> >> I want a few things from a new config:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Has anyone done any more work on this?  I've received nothing off-list to
> > indicate that's been the case -- and I do not know how, if at all, this is
> > being coordinated which is slightly annoying.
>
> Remember we couldn't agree on the 1 pixel border?
>
> I think that was the end of it.

Well, if minutiae like that is all that was left to consider, no wonder
we're done.  :P

> What would you think of a dialog that allowed the user to pick the
> border width?  I think any of us could hack one of those up but
> it wouldn't be the ultimate solution for me.  My clock, biff, and
> perfmeter must have narrower borders than other windows.

I think that's a fine idea.  But remember that it's not so much about
improving the tools to achieve a replacement for system.fvwm2rc/*, but
rather what FVWM looks like out of the box; that's what my original thoughts
on this wanted to do, and that's still what I'm after.

> Some of us thought that FvwmTheme would be the answer.
> It got too big for me to consider.

Indeed.

"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)