On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 09:47:54AM -0600, Glenn Golden wrote:
> Is it possible to force a given window to appear and remain only on a
> particular page?  (Effectively, something like "StartsOnPage", except it
> would really be "StaysOnPage", i.e. the page assignment holds for all time,
> not just upon initial mapping.)
>
> The need for this arises as follows: I'm running xv with the -poll option,
> in order to periodically update the display of an image as the underlying
> image file changes. Desired behavior is that the image only ever appears on
> fvwm page (x,y).  When I try to obtain this behavior via:
>
>     Style myxv StartsOnPage x y, SkipMapping
>
> and then invoking xv as
>
>     $ xv -name myxv -poll [myfile]
>
> it starts on page (x,y) as desired, but then later, when the image file
> changes, the 'new' (i.e., updated) window always pops up on the current page.
>
> (NOTE, fwiw: The updated window(s) seem to maintain the same 'name' and
> 'Window ID' as the originally-mapped window, as reported by FvwmIdent.)

Yeah, you can forbid the program and/or the user to move the
window with

  Style myxv FixedUSPosition, FixedPPosition

(US for user movement, P for program movement).  You may want to add

  Style myxv FixedUSSize, FixedPSize

If that does not fix it, xv is creating a new window with a
different name.  You need to figure out the name and add the
apropriate styles.  With

  bugopts explainwindowplacement on

fvwm prints a detailed explanation of where it places a new window
and why.  Also try FvwmIdent on the window in question to figure
out its class and resource name (both can be used in styles).

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt