I managed to build xv, when I run it it iconifies and deiconifes and
re-iconifies back to where its icon was moved.  Or more simply, it
behaves as expected.

Double checking my version info:

fvwm 2.6.7 compiled on Jan 16 2017 at 17:52:00
with support for: ReadLine, RPlay, Stroke, XPM, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM,
Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS

Double checked that it behaves with an empty config, too.